Monday, July 28, 2008

Not dreaming of these cupcakes


A few months ago I decided to make some delicious blueberry cupcakes, I was even going to make them with real blueberries. I'm not really a fan of real blueberries, something about the texture makes them unappealing; I'm more of a fan of the fake, completely artificial "blueberries " that come in the 44 cent box of Jiffy Blueberry muffins. Having never made anything with real blueberries I decided to puree them and add them to the cake mix. Pureed blueberries do not look at all appetizing. Maybe our blender isn't the best, but there were lots of skins and it was an unattractive blue/brownish liquid, mush sort of stuff. Another great decision was that I wanted to make sure I had a nice blueberry flavor so I decided to add some blueberry jello as well, except I couldn't find plain blueberry jello, I could only find berry jello. The box had a picture of two blueberries and one raspberry, so it was as close to blueberry as I was going to get. The result of the experiment...not good. I didn't even make the frosting for the cupcakes, they weren't horrible, but they weren't the cupcakes I had been dreaming of. They tasted like candy, and while that might seem like a good thing for some people, these weren't the kind of candy you want to eat more than one piece. I guess everyone has to have the unsuccessful experiment once and awhile.

No comments: