Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What does Grandma Betty taste like?

I've been looking at different cupcake bakery websites and have developed some pet peeves concerning cupcake names. All of which I will try to avoid for my cupcakes.
1. Naming your cupcake after a person. I saw a cupcake named Grandma Betty. Now, no offense to Grandma Betty, but how am I suppose to know what this cupcake tastes like? It isn't very descriptive, in fact it might be a form of cannibalism. Who knows? In case you were wondering what Grandma Betty tastes like, she is a brown sugar cake with toffee bits, topped with caramel buttercream, mini chocolate chips, with extra toffee bits. She sounds delicious, I guess I would eat Grandma Betty.
2. Naming your cupcake after a town/state etc. Why would you name your cupcake Michigan? This is even less descriptive than Grandma Betty. When I think of a yummy lemon cupcake with lemon buttercream icing, the state of Michigan does not come to mind. I think of an industrial city where it is way too cold, and smog clogs your lungs. And no one wants to eat that...
3. Naming your banana/chocolate/marshmallow cupcake something to do with Elvis. I'm not sure this fact can be verified, but I'm pretty sure Elvis was not the first person to enjoy this combination. It just seems a little limiting.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Well, when you come to Austin (and I assume that you are coming to Austin for my graduation) I have just the place for a cupcake enthusiast such as yourself to visit.

Katie said...

Oh, yes, I will be in Austin to eat cupcakes, I mean for your graduation!