Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hey, Cupcake!


So this past weekend I was in Austin visiting some friends, and one of the events that I really wanted to do was...of course go to different cupcake places and taste the competition. I thought that I had done all of my research, but apparently I missed a very important part. While Austin does have lots of places to get cupcakes, most of the cupcakes come from people's homes. Except Hey, Cupcake! This place is actually an airstream trailer and someone delivers massive amounts of cupcakes to the trailer. So your car pulls up to this trailer with a cute pink cupcake sitting on top of the trailer. There is a slow moving line of about 30 people waiting to get their bites of heaven. Are people mad that they are having to wait 30 minutes, no, people are patiently waiting their turn; visiting with fellow cupcake lovers like themselves. Ok, I wanted to push a few people out of the way, I heard a few people say,"it's just a cupcake." Mainly those people were in my group and I tried to teach them the error of their ways, but I'm not sure how successful I was. So we finally get our chance to order. I got a Red Velvet, Vanilla Dream, Double Dose, The Standard and a Snowcap. I let my husband eat the Double Dose (chocolate cake chocolate icing) and our new friend Alissa eat Snowcap (chocolate cake, white icing) Everyone seemed to really enjoy the cupcake experience, Mitch (my husband) wasn't too impressed with the actual cupcake but loved their business model. Daniel and Janella both raved about how great their cupcakes were. Alissa and Ryan (Austin natives) said they would be back for more delicious cupcakes. My favorite cupcake was the Red Velvet cupcake(not pictured because I ate it), I thought it needed a little bit more flavor, but the cream cheese frosting was delicious and made me want another one. The Vanilla Dream wasn't quite what I was dreaming of. However, I loved that they used pink frosting. It is a scientific FACT that pink frosting is 66% more attractive than plain white frosting to girls age 2-99. Anyways, the cake lacked vanilla flavor, and it was very crummy, and while the icing was pink and had sprinkles it just wasn't the perfect cupcake. In all fairness, I do think that Hey, Cupcake is doing a great job making the world a better place, one cupcake at a time. After all they did sell 1500 cupcakes in one day.

No comments: