Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Birthday Wish

My mom's birthday was this past weekend. She made a special request for a dessert that she had loved as a child. She described a chocolate cake with a cream filling, it had a marshmallow type frosting, and then the whole thing was covered in a chocolate shell. I attempted to recreate this childhood dessert in the form of a cupcake. I first researched different types of filling and settled on trying a Chantilly cream. Chantilly cream sounds like it might be a difficult thing to make, after all it is French, but it was actually really easy. Turns out that is really just whipped cream, with sugar and vanilla, it was definitely good. I wanted to use a good frosting, not just marshmallow cream for the frosting. After a little bit of looking, I remembered that my Hello, Cupcake book had a 7 minute frosting, that has a marshmallow type texture/flavor. So we were set. I made the chocolate cupcakes, filled them with Chantilly cream, and then made the 7 minute frosting, which actually was more like a 10 minute frosting; and then the fun began.

I had decided to use some enrobbing chocolate to cover the cupcakes, but the enrobbing chocolate was old, and let's just say that once we got it melted, I'm not sure it ever was chocolate. So then we decided to try some magic shell that people put on ice cream. It kind of worked, it worked well for covering the frosting, but it became apparent that it wasn't going to cover all of the cupcakes. So then we melted some chocolate almond bark and dipped the base of the cupcakes in that. It was a very long messy process, and I will admit that I did have the thought "is all this work, worth it?"
I got the answer to my question, with the first bite, and yes, it was totally worth all the work and mess for this very tasty cupcake. I'm not sure if they were an accurate representation of my mom's favorite childhood dessert, but I think everyone enjoyed it. I know I did, in fact, I wish I had one right now...maybe when I fall asleep, I will get to eat one in my dreams.

2 comments:

chargerrt said...

Wish I had one right now too!

Lambchop's Mimi said...

Sorry, Roger, long story short, the cupcakes that were reserved for you got eaten. I am going to make some more and send them. Now that I'm not spending all my free moments in class, I hope to make them this weekend.