Monday, October 6, 2008

Last tastes of summer


I have a hard time welcoming the cool days of fall and saying good-bye to the hot days of summer. So in the memory of summer, I made some key lime cupcakes. It brought me great satisfaction grating the limes, and squeezing them for every last drop of lime juice. I had intended to put lime curd in the centers, and decided to cheat and buy pre-made lime curd. Turns out, pre-made lime curd is NASTY. Because I want this to be an appetizing blog, I won't go into how disgusting it was. Needless to say, I didn't put any lime curd into the centers of the lime cupcakes. While the cupcakes were baking, I made swiss meringue buttercream frosting. That stuff is amazing, it is very light, not overly sweet, and can be eaten by the spoonfuls (yes, I ate the frosting in spoonfuls). After the cupcakes cooled, I frosted them, added lime peel, and topped the cupcakes off with a graham cracker. Such a cruel world, that I won't be able to enjoy the hot summers and delicious summer foods for quite some time.


4 comments:

Amber Elder said...

I have a strawberry cupcake from Sprinkles for you!!! Also, between you and me, your cupcakes taste better than Sprinkles!!! I thought Sprinkles was pretty good, don't get me wrong, but your chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes are my favorite!!!!

chargerrt said...

I guess I wouldn't know which taste better!

Katie said...

Roger, you should come up for Mom's birthday this weekend...there will be cupcakes.

Anonymous said...

I just had the best cupcake ever from the Little Red Hen Bakery in NYC, though yours look pretty amazing!

Reena